This come sup all the time because allot of programs don't allow you to simply pipe data to them. Remember when we pipe data we use the "|" symbol to chain commands like this: sort | uniq. When we have a program that doesn't allow this we can use a program called xargs. xargs allows you to take the output from one program and pass it to another program as a command line argument. I have used xargs in examples of other blog posts. Here is how it works:
let's say I want to pass the names of all the files in a directory to a progrma that only takes input from the command line. I would do the following:
> ls | more | xargs -n 1 someprogram
This will take the file names and pass them to the program someprogram on at a time.
Commands used in this post: ls, more, xargs
No comments:
Post a Comment