Thursday, May 21, 2009

When's the last time you backed up your data?

I'm going to make this easy for you. There is no more important thing you can do than backup your data. Both at home and at work. I'm less concerned about the office unless your self employed or run a small business. You should however make sure your office has a backup policy and/or a process in place that is regularly checked. If not you may want to think about coming up with your own (check with your boss first, there may be rules surrounding backing up company data). for home and small business users there are several easy and cheap ways to backup your data. At home I use an online backup service called Mozy (www.mozy.com). Mozy is very inexpensive (that's just my opinion) and I can store unlimited amounts of data on their systems. At the moment I have approx. 80 GB backed up there now. There are many of these types of services out there at very reasonable costs. Just Google 'online backup' and you'll see all kinds of services. PC Magazine did a comparison of these services, here's a link to the article. 

Another alternative is to buy an external hard drive and simply copy your data over. I have an iMac at home so I use an external hard drive with Time Machine in addition to my Mozy service. You can never have enough backups. There are many software products out there that can help you manage your backups for the PC, MAC, LINUX, and UNIX. 

 

No comments: